Thursday, December 30, 2010

What is the perfect CV like?


I am just about to run out of the house for a meeting, but quickly writing a little blog post cause its a little while since my last post now.
Yesterday I spent a lot of the day rewriting my CV. I think I have 5 different looking Cv’s now. I have no idea what is more effective or which one to use. Some people tell me personalize it; ”put picture, interest, hobbies, other skills in there. Spice it up!”They tell me that the employer wants to know who you are as a person. They also tell me that I in particular should make it personalized since I have a foreign name in Norway.

And then the others say, ”take out the picture, don’t add your gender, your birthdate, your interests or hobbies.” The arguement here was that your employer does not care about your gender, your hobbies or whatver because they are looking solely for your skills. Keeping it corporate and professional.

Then there is the length! I was told to shorten my 4 page CV to one page, which I did so painfully yesterday. I have seen many lengths, but in Norway I have come across few CV’s that are only one page. So what does your CV look like? What do you think is the most successful CV? Keep it short or long? Personalize or do not? Looking forward to hearing what you guys think. I have run out now :--)

1 comment: