Friday, December 31, 2010

Reffel applied for 100 jobs and only got "no" for an answer


Yesterday, just after I had published my last post on CV's, I came across the newspaper about Reffel Delemi who is educated ingenieer and master in "project-communication." She searched 100 jobs without acceptance and worked in kindergarden and as a receptionist. She says she may think some of it is due to being blond and not taken seriously enough, while the rest of the reason her foreign name.

Adding a picture to her CV may decrease sceptism due to her foreign name- giving employers a face to the CV, but as my career councler said, "you might not be hired because employers simply get a false impression of who you are based on a picture."

The foreign name doesn't really surprise me, I do get the impression that some employers may be more sceptical to a foreign name. When applying for jobs myself, a friend suggested I change my name. It is easy to tell Reffel to colour her hair dark and change her name, but its sad that it may be the reason she is getting "no." But with that said, I refuse to believe it is the complete reason that she is not getting a job. Perhaps the best thing when applying for a job is to hand the CV in person?

Although, I do not doubt those two factors play a role in her not getting a job, I am convinced if she gets an interview then her looks or her name cannot be the entire reason she is not getting any jobs. But ofcouse I may be wrong!

Regardless, I just looked in the paper and it looks like she is getting tons of job offers now. Good way to start the new year.

The picture I have is from Vg.no

1 comment:

  1. http://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/article3054884.ece

    http://e24.no/jobb/article3967872.ece

    ReplyDelete