Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Welcome to Placebo Society!



So for my first blog entry I figured I should write a little introduction about myself. So hellooooo I am Sahar! I am a 23 (soon 24) –year- old lady from Norway. I went to an international school from the age of 12 and since took my education in one of the most multicultural cities in the world Toronto.

My parents immigrated to Norway when I was about 2 years old from Iran. I learned how to speak Norwegian in only 3 months. However, it wasn’t that simple. Growing up I sometimes felt “dark and ugly” and like I did not belong.

When I was 16, my parents took me to a little trip to Toronto. I was met by my cousins that to my amazement were all very beautiful. But it was deeper than that. We connected sharing the same issues we encountered, and we made Persian jokes- we had something that brought us together-culture and heritage. So, it was no surprise when my city of choice to study was Toronto. In Canada I was one of them. In fact people were shocked when I said I was from Norway. Now, I belonged.

In Toronto, I had all sorts of friends; black, white, yellow, red, brown- you name it. Somehow we all belonged in a cultural mosaic, different from eachother, yet together as "one". I loved learning about different cultures and different people. Since, I have wanted to help other non-ethnic people in Norway find a place to belong as well. But integration is not a one way street.

I am currently working with the Red Cross as a refugee-guide, and in addition I work for a company that helps immigrants and refugees settle in Norway professionally and socially.

So why did I start this blog and why the name Placebo Society? Well I sort of wanted to do a social commentary of the society we live in. Anything to do with culture, society and race or even a resturant that grabs my attention. My hope is that the blog becomes a little controversial. I also like to put a reminder that some of the things I will be writing about are not necessarily things I agree with.

I hope you enjoy my blog and freely comment anything you like.

6 comments:

  1. :) Congrats on starting the blog! It's nice to be reminded of our little group in T.O. too :D Keep it up! Keep your writing up too... keep submitting... keep wonderful etc etc! love love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you! Nicer to read about you! Nicest that I am able to be sometimes with you!


    Meeee
    Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you guys are sweeet! Never imagened I would get twoo comments on my first blog submitted! Thanks for the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl!

    Thats an honest post you wrote there! I'll def contitue reading! Congrats my sweet little friend;) Love u!!

    Sissil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job!
    Keep those brilliant thoughts posted. we need those! Share it for all of us! Help us to find more and share more!

    Cheers
    Hamid Nabil

    ReplyDelete